Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

We just got back from a great 3 day trip to the mountains with our great friends the O'Reillys and the Nelsons.  We hung out at the cabin, ate good food, played games, and watched our cute kiddos play together and not sleep very well.  James and George were both up to ring in the New Year. Lucky us. Here we are at midnight-James looks thrilled, right?
Despite not sleeping much the night before, all the kids had a great time playing in the snow the next morning.  George was a natural and loved every snow based activity we threw at him-especially sledding. James was content to just chase after the sled.



We put James in his mini skis for the first time and Tim got a workout pulling him around.



After a much needed 3 1/2 hour nap for James, we went to Keystone with the Nelsons and went ice skating.  James had been talking about ice skating non-stop all winter long, so he was pretty excited to go.  They had sleds to pull around little kids on, but we knew James would be very excited about the skates, so we rented him a pair to wear on the sled.  It took some getting used to for all of us-I haven't been on ice skates in forever! But before long we were all pros and had a great time on the ice!



Spending time with friends was a great way to start our new year and made us feel so lucky to have such great friends that have kids around the same age as James.  

10 years ago, I spent New Year's Eve with my parents and Kara in Australia and I was getting ready to leave for Semester at Sea.  I can't believe a whole decade has passed since then! So much has happened in the last 10 years and I feel so lucky to have the family, friends and life that I do. I can't wait to see what the next year and decade bring.
I will steal Anne's idea and post our resolutions to see if it makes me stick with them :-) 
Katy-I am going to try and start flossing on a regular basis. For being married to a dentist, I do not have the best oral hygiene-oops.  I am also going to continue doing yoga on a regular basis. I have loved having something to do alone just for me and love how it makes me feel!
James-James has started the new year diaper free! He literally potty trained himself on Wednesday and has yet to have an accident. So his resoultion that I am making for him is to keep up the great work-no more diapers is a great start to the new year for all of us! Potty training ended up being the easiest most painless thing in parenting yet. He owed it me after not sleeping for a year and a half I guess.
Tim-much like Anne's husband Sean, Tim said he is just fine the way he is and doesn't need any resolutions. He said he would make one on behalf of the schnoodle and walk him more so he doesn't get even more obese. Happy New Year everyone!!

6 comments:

The O'Reillys said...

The ice skating looks like it was a lot of fun! Thanks again for including us! I am so impressed with James' potty-training. I'll have to send George up for a couple days next year so James can show him how it's done.

diana said...

Happy New Year to all of you!

Jenny said...

Jealous of the mountain trip- we want to come some time!

The Icklers said...

I can't believe we were in Australia 10 years ago wearing our "2000" sunglasses and dancing on Lady Eliot Island! That trip was awesome! I love that we both have kids now and I can't wait to see how the next 10 years turn out :)

Grampa Jim said...

Your New Years sounds wonderful. Glad to see James on the skis wearing his helmit.

Little Miss Nelson said...

Thanks for inviting us to ring in the New Year with you, we had so much fun! I can't get over what sweet little friends Riley and James are. As for the potty training, I'm pretty sure that James is making this way too easy on you :)