Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vegan Berry Muffin Recipe

We went to a play group last week and the mom who hosted made these yummy muffins for a snack for the babies (she made up the recipe).  I thought I would share the recipe for those of you looking for a healthy toddler snack.  We made them today and they got the James Seal of Approval.  Here we are baking-James either empties out every cupboard in the kitchen while I cook, or he hangs out in his wrap.
Checking out the finished product.Yummy!
Here is the recipe:

Vegan Berry Muffins
Preheat oven to 350
Wet Ingredients
1/3 cup ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup agave nectar syrup
1 cup applesauce (I used blackberry with no added sugar)
2 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients
2 cups flour (you can use white or half and half with whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TB baking powder

you might need 1/4 cup or less water as needed
1.5-2 cups berries (I used 1 cup frozen blueberries, and 1/2 cup dried cranberries)

Beat the flax, oil and agave with an electric mixture about 1 minute.  Add applesauce and vanilla and mix.
Stir dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients and mix well.  If batter is crumbly, add water until smooth-it will be very sticky and thick though.  Fold in berries.  Fill muffin tins 3/4 way full and bake for 22-25 minutes.  I used cupcake paper liners and they stuck pretty bad, so next time I will just grease the muffin tin.
Well James enjoyed these and it was a nice change from the snack rut we have been in, so I thought I would pass it along incase anyone is interested in trying them out!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your hippie recipes...right up my alley!

Little Miss Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Miss Nelson said...

This sounds yummy, I'm definitely going to have to try it for Miss R. P.S. - I love your apron

The Icklers said...

Sounds good! I have a bunch of whole wheat flour, so it will be good to use it up :)