Wednesday, December 19, 2012

So Lucky

Mac was pretty sick all last week and into the weekend. He spent the better part of 6 days sleeping on me or laying on me completely lethargic and just as I was starting to feel sorry for him and sad that we were missing out on holiday parties and play dates, news came out about the shootings in Connecticut. I spent the entire weekend savoring every snuggle, hugging both boys a little tighter, relishing in the monotony of our everyday lives and saying more, "I love you's," "You are so special," and "I'm so lucky." I have shed a lot of tears and tried to make sense of all the terrible things that happen in our World. I do know that there are a lot of good people, and we are lucky enough to be surrounded by this goodness everyday. I look at the innocence of our boys and want to do everything I can to preserve that and always make them feel safe and loved. I think we are all spending this holiday season, even more than ever, being thankful for everything that we have. For me it is these two boys. I am so, so lucky that they are mine. Here is my sick Macky:
And my healthy Macky (after letting rotavirus run it's course and after the antibiotics for strep throat kicked in):
This is Tim and I's all time favorite Mac face. If we say, "Mac, show us your sweet smile." He tilts his head to the side, smiles and says, "Cheeeese!" 

James' last day of school before Christmas was yesterday. I have to admit, I cried after dropping him off at school Monday and Tuesday. I am so thankful for his teachers who take such good care of him when he is at school. I am sure all my teacher friends had heavy hearts this week facing their older students who were full of questions and concerns about Connecticut. I am thankful that James is young enough that he has not been exposed to any of this news at all. If only I could keep him in that bubble forever.
Ready for some holiday happinness and good cheer, we had the Haleys over for dinner last night. After we ate, Kelly and I put the kids in their pajamas and piled them into her minivan with Christmas cookies, blasted Christmas carols and drove around and looked at the best lights Longmont has to offer.
 
    
I think we can safely say a new tradition has begun (began? this is one of those things that now that I have said both in my head multiple times, neither one of them sounds correct....)
  
Hoping that everyone else is finding comfort where they can this week and enjoying every second with their friends and families!

1 comment:

Grampa Jim said...

So glad the bug Mac caught has been shown the door before this weekend.
The fact that all your packages are identically wrapped under your tree is so Katy. I love it.