Friday, December 14, 2012

Holiday Show

Tonight was James' Holiday Show for BellaVita. Mac has been massively sick all week and I have literally been crossing my fingers all week that James would stay healthy for his show. This is his last year at BellaVita and I would have been so sad if he had missed this show. He has been looking forward to it for weeks. The kids sang 4 songs and did 2 dances. James was hilarious as usual. I have been to his school during music class and for the rehearsal, and James is always the loudest most enthusiastic singer by far. He chose tonight to really let his weirdness uniqueness shine. He spent most of the first song talking to himself really loudly and then acted like a complete weirdo for the remainder of the show. Gosh I love that kid.
For your viewing pleasure, some of James' weirdness during Peace Like a River.


The highlight of the show was the World Premier of James' first movie, The Nightmare Before Easter  (clearly inspired by his love of The Nightmare Before Christmas). That's right folks, James is our very own Steven Spielberg/Martin Scorsese. He got it in his head at the beginning of the school year that he wanted to make a movie. Well, I think Miss Rachael got tired of listening to him talk about it all the time, so she helped him turn his dream into reality. He came up with the concept of the movie and started writing it and quickly recruited the help of the other 3 "big" boys in his class, Cyrus, Colin and Will. The 4 of them worked on it for weeks and casted all of the little kids in the movie as well (the 4 big boys were the main characters and the monsters in the movie-Zach, Glow Eyes, Pokey and Lightning). They assigned parts, costumes, over saw the creation of the set, the whole shebang. They filmed the movie this week and Rachael had it edited in time for tonight's show. There was a big screen set up so that everyone could watch. These 4 boys were literally glowing while watching their movie, practically levitating off their seats with excitement.
                         
I have to say I am a little over the top proud that my 5 year old masterminded this idea and got his whole school involved in making his movie. I am also so thankful that he has had the opportunity to attend BellaVita for the past 2 1/2 years. The teachers there really let him shine as an individual and obviously foster his creativity and uniqueness. I don't think there are many other places that would have embraced the idea of a 5 year old making a monster movie as much as his teachers at BellaVita did. I took James out for a celebratory hot chocolate after the show. It was the perfect end to a night with my sweet, creative, goofy boy.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I posted the other day but it ate my comment. But I am VERY impressed to hear that Jamsey made a movie :) Love his teachers for helping him with this idea. And he seems to like random acquantances hugging him about as much as his Uncle Ian does.

Grampa Jim said...

That's my Grandson! I gotta see the video.
I loved his reaction to the overly friendly little girl...