Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mountain Baby

On Friday, I met up with Anne, Lacey, Erin, Holland, and their respective babies/toddlers for a hike in Eldorado Springs.  It was such a pretty day, and we had so much fun.  James took off up the trail the second we got there.
I had to catch him and break it to him that he would not be walking up the trail himself, but would be riding on my back instead.  Here is James with Alec and Audrina before the hike.

All the mamas and babies on the top: Anne and George, Erin and Alec, me and James, Holland and Riley, Lacey and Audrina.
A good picture of all the kids!  A much more successful attempt than the last photo shoot with all of them (remember this?)
At the top were the ruins of an old hotel, which Alec and James loved playing in.
James was having so much fun on the top of the mountain running around and finding sticks that I had to chase after him and force him to eat some lunch.  Those of you familiar with James and his eating habits will realize how much fun he must have been having to not be interested in food.

I think we are going to try to go hiking on Fridays for as long as the weather cooperates. I can't wait for the next one!
Right after our hike, we went home to meet Tim who got off work early and headed up the the cabin.  We hadn't been up there in forever and had something to do in Vail on Saturday morning, so it was the perfect excuse to have a mini family getaway.  The weather was perfect, and we loved watching James enjoy himself so much.  We went to Dillon Lake where we watched James throw rocks into the lake for an hour or so, he was in heaven.
He loved it when Tim would throw in a big rock and it would make a big splash.

There is an awesome new playground at the lake too, but it was definitely not as exciting as the rock throwing.  We drug him away to drive to Breckenridge for dinner and the whole drive we heard, "More rock, wawa, pease!" from the backseat. 
 
Trying out the slide at the play area in downtown Breckenridge.
The next morning James had fun running around by the cabin and finding more sticks and rocks. 
We love that James enjoys being outdoors so much.  It is gratifying to watch him play and be entertained by such simple things.  We are going to try hard to get him outside as much as possible this summer and take him on more hikes and hopefully try camping with him!

4 comments:

Grampa Jim said...

I am so envious....
We miss Colorado. The heat has started in earnest down here in Houston...
Glad James is finding out how lucky he is to have been born in Colorado.

Jenny said...

I love everything about this post.

The Icklers said...

I love the mommy hiking group -- you are all so cute! James will totally be a little outdoorsman someday.

diana said...

I will just say ditto to Grampa Jim and to Jenny!