Wednesday, August 4, 2010

James' First Day of Preschool!

Today was a pretty big day for us, James started preschool! He has been so excited and this morning he woke up an hour and a half earlier than normal announcing that he was ready to go to school! Yesterday he got prepared by getting a big boy haircut (meaning I actually took him to the hair dresser as opposed to randomly cutting chunks of hair out of his eyes while in the bath tub), picking out his outfit and helping pack his back pack so that he was ready to go this morning.
His first of many "First day of school" pictures on the front porch.

We are very lucky that Longmont has multiple awesome preschools that we had to choose from. One of the huge selling points of the one we picked is that we can walk there, which I think I will appreciate even more once Baby He-Who is here and I do not have to load a baby in and out of the car for drop off and pick up times.
James with his main teacher, Miss Rachael (he wanted her to hold a train for the picture).
The Bella Vita School:


See ya!
James had absolutely no issue what so ever with me leaving him at school this morning. I walked him in and helped him take his shoes off and put them in his cubby and wash his hands (all the children have to wash hands as soon as they come inside) and then he took off with some new friends to "find the toys!" I had to go find him to get a hug good bye! When I picked him up this afternoon, he answered the door with the teacher wearing a super hero costume and told me that he had missed me all day long. I got a typed daily report from the teacher telling me what he ate, drank, when he pottied, who he played with etc. so that I feel like I have a very good idea of what he did the 4 1/2 hours that he was away from me today! Here are some highlights from the report from the teacher (for people like my parents who care):


-He ate sunflower butter on crackers and carrots and tomatoes from the school's garden for a snack
-He had Veggie stiry-fry with brown rice noodles, lentils and fresh fruit for lunch
-He drank water and tried soymilk and almondmilk (the whole school is vegan and the assistant teacher is a vegan chef/nutritionist.
-He asked to go potty 3 times
-He was very friendly to all the children and played very well with 2 other boys during free play and outside time
-He conducted the music for a group of children playing the drums 
-He liked dressing up
-He liked hearing one of the 5 year olds (who will start Kindergarten in the fall) read to him
-He had Spanish class (there is a special class each day, he will have music class on Thursdays and on Wednesdays right now it is either Spanish or Yoga, but will change once the fall semester begins in September)

And here are some highlights that James told me about on the way home:
-He liked Jules the best
-He really liked the bread at school and thinks I should ask what kind it is
-He liked to dress up
-He liked saying, "Hola" and "Adios" during Spanish
-He liked being the conductor

James will be going to school from 8-12:30 on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We started him about a month early just incase Baby He-Who makes an early escape so that James wasn't starting school right at the same time the baby is born. He seems to have done great the first day, so let's hope that he continues to love it! I am so proud of my big boy!

8 comments:

Grampa Jim said...

I am not surprised that James had no separation anxiety. He is a pistol. That backpack is as big as he is. Love the continuing tradition of the first day of school photos. Let's see how many generations we can press this on.

Glad he doesn't have nut allergies. Sounds like a great place. Loved the post. It made me smile all the way down to my toes.

diana said...

He looks like one happy kid for his first day of school! Good looking haircut and outfit. So glad he had such a good time - thanks for the comprehensive update on everything he did (I don't necessarily expect that every time he goes!) Hope the time was productive for you.

Brynne said...

What a big big boy! I can't believe he's in preschool! I love that he loved it, and I'm not one bit surprised because he's a genius. I can't wait til he's a bilingual music composing yogi! :) Good job James!

Tonia said...

He looks like such a big boy! The haircut and outfit are perfect for the first day. Hope he continues to have a good time!

Jenny said...

Yay for preschool! I am so jealous of all of the great choices for preschools you have- I am already compiling my lists of schools to visit for Z and none of them are perfect. Guess I've got a year to find our Bella Vita.

James looks great and so excited! He's so social, I love it!

Erin Sungy said...

I'm in so much trouble, this post totally made me teary eyed. I CAN'T beleive he is in school. Sounds like an amazing place and I am so glad he did well, way to go James!

The Icklers said...

He just looks so excited in those pics! What a handsome little man. Preschool is the best.

Little Miss Nelson said...

Yay James, we can't believe what a big boy you are! You looked great for your very first day of school and your new preschool looks awesome!