Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cabin Staycation

The boys and I just spent a wonderful 5 days up in the mountains with Anne and her two boys (Tim and Sean joined us for the weekend). The weather was beautiful-sunny in the mornings and rainy most afternoons. We brought up the boys' bikes and they loved riding up and down the hill in front of the cabin.
 Thomas hung out with us on Friday night and took James for a quick ATV ride.
 Exploring in the back of the cabin-
 The World's prettiest setting for a playground-
 Gus and Mac ready for a ride in Sean's Jeep. The excitement of the ride was Gus' hat blowing off and me running back to get it.
 On Sunday we went to Breckenridge and rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain. The boys loved it, and it was free. Can't beat that!

At the top of the mountain there is a bunch of overpriced summer activities. The big boys convinced us to let them play putt putt. It was pretty chaotic having 4 little boys running around with golf clubs, but they had a blast.
 From there, we hiked up a little further to where there was still snow!
 You can't have a snowball fight in July too many places, James thought it was pretty cool.
There was lots of playing in the dirt and climbing to the top of this hill and sliding down on their bottoms. Every pair of pants and shorts from our trip has a very dirty bum.
On Sunday night Tim built us a campfire so the boys could make S'Mores. Just as good as camping, and we get to sleep inside!

Monday morning Anne and I took the boys on a hike. James and George came up with a very elaborate "Yakki monster" they were looking for.
 My lazy hiker.
It rained Monday afternoon, so we took the boys swimming at the rec center in Silverthorne.
 I was shocked that I was able to convince James to go down this slide with me. Once he tried it though, he couldn't get enough of it!
 My favorite thing to do with the boys up there is go to the lake. They can be so happy just throwing rocks and digging in the dirt.
On Tuesday afternoon, we took the boys to the Old Dillon Schoolhouse Museum. It is the original schoolhouse from before Dillon was moved for the building of the dam (we even saw a video with pictures of how they picked up the school house and put it on a truck to move it-so neat!). We got a guided tour and the boys did so well listening to the tour guide. They were fascinated by everything.
Most of the time we just go up to the cabin for a weekend, so it was so nice to spend more time up there relaxing and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. The boys loved playing together (most of the time) and I think all 4 of them were pretty bummed when our little staycation came to an end. I loved spending time with Anne and watching our 4 boys play with each other. I think we might just have to make this a summer tradition :-)

2 comments:

The O'Reillys said...

We LOVED being in the mountains with all of you! I'm in for the annual trip for sure!!!!

Tonia said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm taking notes on things to do up there.